Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, January 20, 2011

REACHING 80

As I was driving down the highway of life, actually Little Road on my way to Countryside Mall, I was struck by the fact I was going to be 80 years old in several days and maybe I shouldn’t be driving today. There is always something in the newspaper about one of us causing an accident.  I said to myself I don’t feel any different than I did last year so I calmed my fears and continued on.  On my way home on US 19 I found myself in heavy traffic. Feeling very confident, except for the stupid drivers around me, I came home after buying several things for myself and my husband so it was really a successful trip.

Yesterday I played bridge with fifteen other women and most are older than I am. Several who are in their nineties (one is 96) weren’t impressed that I was going to be 80. What’s remarkable is they still read and exchange books at our building library, drive but mostly in the area close to home and keep up on sport events and but also talk about their aches and pains.

I can’t take pictures on my cell phone, design cards on the computer and walk a full mile (I’m going to work on that) and remember so and so’s name immediately, but I do love the fact I have such good friends and family.

So today on my 80th I’m going to a movie and early dinner with friends not because it’s my birthday, it’s actually a monthly thing our club does. 

My husband mentioned about me now being a senior citizen, I told him I preferred being called “elderly” ‘cause it has a lot of perks.  I can sit down and take naps when I want. Sometimes you get to go to the front of a line or are given the best seat. You aren’t expected to keep a spotless house or get dressed before . People listen to you, even though they’re being polite and don’t care anything about what you have to say.

 Being elderly isn’t so bad. I hope I’m elderly for a long, long time.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. I really love reading your blog. Happy birthday!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. People were talking about their "elderly" parents at a neighborhood party yesterday. They were impressed to hear that my parents email and use the internet and that my mom even writes a regular blog. They won the "my parents are more elderly than your parents" competition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to come up with a complimentary term for "elderly" that is more celebratory. As I have aged, I have realized that life truly gets better. You know more and you know yourself. I never felt my age, and still don't, but there are times when reality hits. Like when a 25-30 year old friend comes to me for motherly advice. I wonder when my students will stop thinking I am 32 or even 27 (because they think that is old) and start to see me as "elderly." I don't look forward to that. I hope I can remain young in their eyes for a long time to come. You and dad never seem your age. You are so involved in life, so many aspects. Even now, I cannot come up with a term that does that justice. You are not "elderly" to me. However, if the term brings with it, "perks" then use it to your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it -- and we all hope you remain youngerly for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete