Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, October 31, 2013


MORE OLD AGE STUFF
Yesterday I played bridge again. I arrived early and there was a woman I hadn’t met already there. She was filling in for someone and hadn’t played bridge in quite a while. She needed to know some of our rules and was very worried because she was 90 years old and wasn’t too sure of herself. I told her that quite a few of our players were already 90 and she’d fit right in.
Just then Dottie came into the room and I introduced them saying she was also in her 90’s. Dottie told her she is 99. Another came in and said she was born in 1923. At this the new woman put her face in her hands, laughing and crying at the same time.

I think sometimes people keep to themselves too much only to find there are people just like them everywhere.

 

1 comment:

  1. Such a touching and poignant vignette. I love reading your blogs -- and not just because you're my mom. You're an excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete