Big Farm by MJM

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I IS OK

I IS OK

When I sent my story called “Sleigh Ride” to my family and friends, my son called and said he thought I should have a blog so that I could continue the writing I’ve done the past several years.  My reaction was that I was computer illiterate and didn’t think I could handle such a thing.  I only had seen one blog which made no sense to me, the writer just rambled on with total nonsense about someone who had died and a recipe she was making.

The next thing I see is my blog complete with a picture I had painted. I was expected to come up with a title and start off running.  My writing would be typed on Word, cut, pasted then posted.  I had troubles doing attachments to e-mails so how could I function? I didn’t even know what cut and paste meant.

I’m not that familiar with Facebook, never having seen a page.  Our cell phone is mystery, I can’t take a picture or do a text message.  It always seemed to me these people are so self-absorbed they want to tell the world how remarkable they are.

 Now I’ve become one of them.  My first blog was so filled with I’s that I was ashamed yet, I didn’t know what to do.  I couldn’t write in the third person and had no other frame of reference.  Write about what you know is what all writers are told.  So I write about what I know and who I know and it’s all non-fiction.  The audience I’m writing for is my children and grandchildren and my future great-grandchildren because I want them to know me and who I am as a person.

So I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s OK to use I’s.


3 comments:

  1. Strange story but really interesting. It is funny how we get into some things that remain mysterious. I did find myself hoping to find out about the couch and lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I is more than okay! We love reading your "stuff" and are so glad you're doing it. I am certainly a big fan. Thank you -- and keep it up no matter what anyone else says or doesn't say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog is enjoyable! It is about you and your life experiences so "I" is perfect!

    ReplyDelete