Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, October 28, 2010

MOVING ON WITH MOM

MOVING ON WITH MOM

When you last heard, Mom was ejected from the large assisted living community into a smaller facility and then ejected from her new place too. My only alternative was for her to seen by her physician.  My daughter came to aid me because I didn’t know if I could handle her myself when we took her to his office.  She actually was very calm.

The doctor suggested I take her to the psychiatric wing of the hospital for evaluation.  I dropped off my daughter and starting driving her alone. She was quiet and I chatted with her and got her something to eat as it was close to lunchtime. At the hospital I borrowed a wheelchair and followed directions to the Psych Unit. 

After being interviewed at length by the doctor, he told me she could no longer live in an ALF but would need a nursing home.  In the meantime she would have to be committed in order to get her on proper medication.  She had been docile up to this point, but when told she would be staying there, she proceeded to yell and fight to get out of her chair. So they used the Baker Act and committed her against her will and the doctor and nurses told me to leave and that I would be able to see her the next day.

I remember going to the elevator in tears and a gentleman who had witnessed this asked if he could be of help.  I pulled myself together, thanked him and proceeded to my car which, of course, didn’t start. It was now .

I called the towing company and also called my husband who had left for golf before I got the morning call but had been receiving reports during the day.  He met me at the garage and I used his car to arrive home at .

Naturally the story will continue in the next chapter.

3 comments:

  1. What an unhappy memory. The car not starting was the icing on the cake... -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a rotten day, made worse by car trouble. Not surprising you remember it so well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, a continuing tumble of challenges.... heartbreaking. That must have been so hard. I am just shaking my head at how tough that day must have been.

    ReplyDelete