Big Farm by MJM

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

AFTER THOUGHT  (regarding the more serious accident)

In my remembering that Sunday in July, I discovered I had never put everything in prospective.  I had never really thought about myself and just remembered looking at my Mother and not knowing what to do. I didn’t cry, I don’t think.  I know the staff explained everything to me and I did meet the surgeon who put the pins in her hip.  I found out later he was not very capable.

I must have walked home told my young brothers and called my Grandmother and older brother who lived with her.  He was out of school and had a full time job at the Post Office and I know he contributed some money toward Mom’s bill.  He very seldom came to see her because like my Grandfather he was terrified to visit a hospital and actually felt faint when he came to see her. Even later he wouldn’t go into the hospital when he had chest pains which ultimately led to his death at 62.

We had a cleaning lady who had been coming in once a week.  I had no money except for what I earned so I couldn’t afford to pay her. My youngest brother stayed with my Grandmother part of the time.  Somebody must have paid the rent and I think some people brought food but I don’t remember. I’m positive that my Mother’s sisters also came to help. I do know that I did most of the cooking then and when my Mother came home. She was on crutches for quite awhile.

I got a call from the pastor of our church one Sunday afternoon. My brothers and I knew the priest very well and he said he would like to visit us and he came right over.  Fortunately, the day before I had cleaned the whole apartment and everything was spotless for which I was thankful. We had a nice visit.  I was told later that my grandmother’s sister who lived close to our home had called the priest and told him she didn’t think I was capable of handling all that was going on and he should do something about it.  He called her and told her everything was under control. I think my aunts and grandmother were upset with her meddling.

In thinking back about all that happened, I find myself crying for myself. I was so young and I don’t remember anyone ever thanking me or praising me for what did.  Someone should have taken care of me and I never thought about that at the time.

1 comment:

  1. So very true, someone should have been taking care of you!

    ReplyDelete