Big Farm by MJM

Friday, December 31, 2010

STAGEWORK IN CHICAGO


My biggest dream was to be in the chorus of a Broadway musical which came true when I appeared in “Annie Get Your Gun”. I never had any aspirations further than that. However, after being in the show, I came to the conclusion that I could have played one of the major parts.  So the following year I tried out for the second lead in “Silk Stockings” and won the part.

I will tell you that even though I was second lead, I got the best reviews from the local papers.  Each of the northwest suburbs in Chicago had a weekly paper that came out on Thursday with all the local news, grocery ads and actual theatrical reviews.  Our local critic called me “downright startling”, all the others raved about me but didn’t mention anyone else in the cast including the leading lady.  I was so embarrassed that I didn’t even save those.  How I regret that decision.

I only worked backstage on the next show. In addition to building and painting sets I also worked with the lighting crew on the catwalk in the ceiling above the audience.  When I climbed down at the end of the show, there were two high school students waiting to ask for my autograph.  I told them I wasn’t in the show, but they said “yes, but you were in the last one”.



3 comments:

  1. How great would it be if we had video recordings of the shows you were in! I guess we should at least be glad we have some photos. Can't believe you didn't save the newspaper clippings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember getting to go with you when you were in the theater. I was awestruck by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice twist. You were a great actor and singer!

    ReplyDelete