Big Farm by MJM

Monday, June 6, 2011

FRIENDS FOR LIFE  (I Hope)

When on my birthday trip, our 18 year old granddaughter shared a bedroom with her 13 year old cousin. For the first time I noticed they spent a great deal of time talking. The two 11 year olds ran everywhere together which is their usual pattern. Our teen-ager grandson spent time playing basketball with his uncle and in the boat with the adult men as the women did the things women do. But the two older girls were bonding and seemed to have a lot to talk about.

With all this going on, I realized that as they all become adults they’ll probably look forward getting together to enjoy each other’s company.  At the wedding of our youngest daughter, her friends told her they couldn’t believe how well we all got along. For them dysfunctional families seemed to be the norm.

All this reminded me of a conversation I had with my brand new sister-in-law at her wedding some forty-odd years ago. The bride, who was 19 years old, told me to remember that my 14 year old daughter belonged to her generation and I definitely did not. This proved to be true and I’m always reminded of that fact when we get together. We still laugh about it.

2 comments:

  1. And yet, I still feel like my aunt, your much younger sister-in-law, is from YOUR generation! Guess it's all a matter of perception.

    ReplyDelete