Big Farm by MJM

Sunday, February 2, 2014

DON’T BOTHER ME I’M ON THE ICE

In the days of the Winter Olympics when everyone knew Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill and Scott Hamilton, I sat mesmerized watching every spin, jump and spiral they did. I would say to the children “don’t bother me I’m on the ice”.

No one could ever compare with the sensational skating team of Torvill and Dean as far as I’m concerned. I became disillusioned with what had happened to the beautiful, lyrical skating done by our past Olympic champions.

Skaters now had to compete with other countries who introduced triple and quadruple jumps which scored higher points. Now every skater had to work to get the new jumps into their repertoire and the true beauty of figure skating became lost. If you watched the last few years of competitions, you’d see skater’s spending all their time getting ready for the next jump and there was not much beauty involved.

Last month I discovered our own USA Ice dancers, Davis and White by accident. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Something of supreme beauty happened when they performed. I fell in love with figure skating again when I saw them skating in virtual unison to their chosen music and making continuous beautiful moves.

These two are considered favorites for the gold metal. Our other skaters are not far behind, so try to see them if you can and don’t bother me because I’ll be on the ice again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment