Big Farm by MJM

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

MY LIBRARIAN FRIEND

Her name was Miss Catherine Makepeace and I always thought how perfect a name it was for our town librarian. About sixty years old and extremely proper, she addressed me as Mrs. Miller and to me she was always Miss Makepeace.

Our library was an old English style mansion either donated by the former owners or sold to our town.  The dark brick manor house was three stories high, the first floor contained all the books, the second was used for offices and storage and the entire third floor was a magnificent ball room.  The second and third floors as well as the rear garden were not open to the public.

There was a wing on the first floor exclusively for children and their books were checked out by a young librarian who was very impressed with our children especially the youngest who refused help in choosing her own books even though she couldn’t read. When she was able to sign her name she was awarded her own library card.

The garden of the mansion was surrounded by high brick walls and the entire rear wall which was covered by dried ivy vines had a narrow roof that extended over a tea garden complete with a few rustic tables and chairs. The large grass covered area had a non-functioning fountain in its center and there was a paved path encircling it. You could always admire the well kept garden area through the beautiful but locked French doors in the rear of the first floor.

One summer the library board decided to do a series of cultural events in the rear garden. The Dayton Ballet Company was invited to do a presentation and that was done in the grassy area in front of one long brick wall.  Chairs were set up and the public was invited.  A chamber music group entertained there on another evening,

Our local civic theater of which I was president was also asked to participate.  My partner and I reenacted a dramatic scene which we planned to enter in our regional theater competitions. We performed on the path around the fountain. Others from our theater did two comedy radio scripts and these were presented at the tables in the tea garden.  We were highly complemented for our efforts and the whole summer series was a huge success.

The next time I entered the library I was greeted as “Mary Jane” by the librarian.  This was one of the biggest thrills of my life.  After that I was always “Mary Jane” but she   still remained Miss Makepeace to me.

(In case you’re wondering, the scene I was in did not go to regional competitions because my partner was not available to attend)

3 comments:

  1. I remember that library adding a thrill to books. Just being there made you want to read read read! And, I do remember the pond, but I also remember being able to go out there. Maybe I made it up, who knows. Maybe I just wanted to so badly, I dreamed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday I mentioned to Rich that I recall biking to our local library and leaving the bike unlocked while in the library. He laughed about what a different upbringing I had; even if you locked a bike in the Bronx, it was likely to be stolen. As I was telling him about the library, the picture I had in my mind was of a big, old mansion with a children's wing, so I was pleased to read this story that confirmed it wasn't an "invented memory."

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I want to change my name to "Makepeace."

    ReplyDelete