Big Farm by MJM

Friday, May 11, 2012


MOTHER’S DAY

How do you remember Mama? If you asked my five children that question, they would all answer in unison “with a cigarette in one hand and a book in the other”. And that’s true. I was always reading and smoking, but I really did other things as well.
None could say they were neglected, which they weren’t. They would truthfully say they were never told they were loved either by their mother or their father. In those days I can’t remember hearing any other parent really saying that to their kids, but we showed love by our actions.
But to go on about my smoking and reading, reading was always my special reward. I would never read until all my work was done for the day. Another thing, when I married I vowed to always be there when my children came home from school. I knew from experience how much I wanted someone to be there for me. As for smoking, I ‘m glad none of them followed my example and became smokers.
I still reward myself with reading. You’ll always see me with a book in my hands, no cigarette but with snacks nearby, which is the only thing I feel guilty about now.








No comments:

Post a Comment