Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, July 11, 2013


IT WAS A VIRUS

Last week a friend told us she was doing much better after being ill for quite a while. We asked what her problem had been. Turned out she had a virus which had been going around and her symptoms were continuous coughing and having no energy to do the slightest chores. Her doctor confirmed the virus.
For weeks I felt guilty because I spent so much time in my chair only getting up to do laundry or cooking, then feeling exhausted after doing them. I had gone to the doctor’s for my cough a week or so before and received an anti-biotic which didn’t help. I don’t think he had heard of this particular virus at that time. Our next door neighbor told me he had the very same problem.
I think I’ve been affected by my illness more than I realized. At my age it’s harder to get back in gear and although I have many things I want to write about, I don’t seem to have the energy to do much of anything.
Now I wish I complained more and felt less guilty.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                     

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This can happen at any age. When I had mono in 2008 it took two months for my doctor to figure out I had a virus. I wasn't clear enough in telling him that I was so lethargic -- I felt guilty that I was letting all my responsibilities slip and just sleeping all the time, like it was my fault... I just didn't feel like that was a real symptom, somehow? So he thought it was allergies or an infection, and I got antibiotics that didn't do anything.

    I'm going through something similar right now, but this time knew what to say and the doctor ordered all the blood tests right away. I should get my results back tomorrow, and I'm hoping that catching whatever it is earlier will mean it's more treatable. I also don't feel as bad about just resting on the sofa after work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all should complain more -- even when not sick. It may make society healthier.

    ReplyDelete