Big Farm by MJM

Monday, June 25, 2012


AN EVENING WITH AN AWARD WINNING ACTRESS

Our Workshop Theater Company in Columbia hosted a weekend regional conference for other theaters within our state. On the final day, there was a dinner and our guest speaker was a young Tony Award winning actress. Don’t ask me her name, because I can’t remember it. What I do remember is that after the festivities, about three women and I spent a wonderful time with her seated at a round table.  It was late and she would be returning to her lonely hotel room, so we sat and just talked about many things besides acting.
She was single and we expressed sorrow for her being alone in the big city, so she sheepishly said she had an arrangement. This was about thirty years ago when it was not the norm to have live-in relationships. She was so charming and open we all laughed when she told us. She never became really famous or I would have remembered her name. I’ve often wondered if she ever appeared on Broadway again.
One thing I do remember is her telling about her best friend, the niece of Katherine Hepburn. The two of them spent a great deal of time at Ms. Hepburn’s home, which they loved. There was only one rule. When Spenser Tracey was in residence, they were told they had to disappear.
It’s always fascinating to hear those little tidbits about famous people.








No comments:

Post a Comment