Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, February 7, 2013


ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
Last night I happened to see the 1930 movie version of “All Quiet on the Western Front” starring Lew Ayers. This was an American movie about a German soldier in the First World War. He could easily have been an American soldier
Before, I had only seen the Silent version which had English subtitles for world release. One scene in particular that stood out for me was when Paul, the main character, leaves the hospital after visiting his dying friend and starts running with joy when he realizes he is still alive. He talks about how guilty he feels because he survived and his friend didn’t.
Lew Ayers became a pacifist as a result of the movie. When drafted, he declared himself a conscientious objector and served only with the Medical Corp and received medals for his efforts.
The original book by Erich Maria Remarque, which I had read, has become a classic which everyone should read, especially politicians.  You can now probably download it for free. Because I felt so strongly about this book, several years ago I bought it, along with other books, for my son and his family to read while on vacation.
If you’re not a reader, rent or buy the movie. You won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment