Big Farm by MJM

Thursday, February 14, 2013


NEW ORLEANS

The first time we went to New Orleans, we visited the Café Du Monde and I had my first taste of beignets and chicory coffee, I was hooked, couldn’t wait for a return visit to have them again.
Fortunately, we returned for a five day Elderhostel event in 2005 and learned more about New Orleans and their food. We visited a cooking school and ate a lunch cooked and served by its students. Heard lectures by and about local authors, listened to a Jazz expert explain the origins of the music and he even played the piano for us giving examples of various sounds. Every day we ate at various known and unknown places. All this took place in the days before Easter and before Katrina struck in August of that year.
I never think of New Orleans without picturing the French Quarter and if I was ever to return, I already know where everything is. I can visualize Lafayette Square Park, the Cathedral, and the book store owner who came out of his office to talk with us when he heard our conversation with his clerk. His store is on the hill behind the Cathedral and I’d love to visit it again.  Of course, I’ll not forget the Café Du Monde.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                  

1 comment:

  1. Café Du Monde is also among my favorite memories and places in New Orleans. After Katrina I've not had as much desire to return, but I guess it's mostly better now. So many places I'd like to see again. So little time to do it, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete